The Present Simple is used for:
Se Utiliza el PRESENTE SIMPLE cuando se expresa una accion real, rutina, o habito.
- regular actions or events
He plays tennis most weekends.
The sun rises in the east.
- facts known about the future
We leave at 8.30 next Monday
- thoughts and feelings about the time of speaking
I don't feel very well.
The Present Continuous is used for:
Se Utiliza el PRESENTE CONTINUOS para describir el futuro expresando en el tiempo presente cuando se refiere a un acontecimiento previamente planificado.
Formula: Subject + Verb to be + Verb + ing+ Complement
- What are you doing today? (Que vas a (piensas) hacer hoy)
- In this mornig, I'm cleaning the house and then I'm meeting Mariana for lunch.( Por la mañana voy a limpiar la casa y luego voy a encontrarme con mariana para almorzar)
- the time of speaking ('now')
- Shh, I'm trying to hear what they are saying .
- things which are true at the moment but not always
We're looking for a new flat.
- present plans for the future
We're having dinner with them next week .
NOTA IMPORTANTE: I'm cleaning se traduce "Estoy limpiando", sin embargo cuando la oración expresa futuro se traduce "Voy a limpiar", es decir el presente continuo puede tener dos traducciones.
Look at these examples :
- I don't usually have cereals for breakfast but I'm having some this morning because there is nothing else.
- I often cycle to work but I'm taking the car this morning because it's raining very hard.
- I'm thinking about having my hair cut short but I don't think my husband will be very happy about it.
- My parents live in Washington but I'm just visiting.
Note how, in all these examples, we use the present continuous to talk about events which are temporary/limited in time and the present simple to talk about events which are habits/permanent.